Frequently Asked Questions

When can I move in?

You will gain access upon completing required rental agreement and payment information.

Do I need a lock for my unit?

Yes, we allow tenants to provide their own locks for peace of mind.

What documentation do you require to rent a unit?

We require a government-issued photo ID (state-issued ID, driver's license, passport, military ID).

Do you require renter's insurance?

New tenants are able to either provide proof of personal insurance or explore our Tenant Protection offerings. If providing proof of personal insurance, it must include: 
  • Name of insurance company
  • Policy #
  • Date of expiration

What am I NOT able to store in my storage unit?

The following are not allowed to be stored:
  • Hazardous or flammable materials and/or liquids
  • Explosives
  • Food or perishable items
  • Toxic materials
  • Dead or living organisms 
Please Contact Us if you have any questions on what can be stored.

When is my rent due?

Rent is due on the 1st of the month. Payments received after the 1st of the month are subject to a late payment fee.

What forms of payment do you accept?

We accept the following forms of payment:
  • Electronic Check (ACH)
  • Credit Card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover); we do not accept American Express.
  • Check (deliver to: PO Box 461, Hartland, WI 53029)

How much notice do I need to provide prior to move out?

We require 30 days notice prior to move out. To notify us, please notify us via email at or by first-class mail to KeySafe Self Storage, PO Box 461, Hartland, WI 53029.

What's the process for moving out?

Assuming you have given us proper notice of your move out, make sure your unit is completely empty of your belongings, broom swept clean, and your lock has been removed.

What happens if I stop payment and leave items in my storage unit?

If you do not retrieve your items in the timing outlined in the rental agreement, you are subject to fees and the storage unit items may be sold at auction.